Last Updated on February 18, 2023
Here’s a fun thing. I can see myself when using Google Meet but nobody else can see me. I can see myself in the top right hand corner during Google Meet sessions. But a Google meet error is telling me that I have no camera connected.
I can test my camera settings in Google Meet, but after the recording test (during which I can see myself) I am shown the error message ‘Recording isn’t available. Turn on your microphone and camera.
Here are the things I have checked:
- Does the camera work? Yes, all software can see and use the camera. Google Meet can see the camera but will not broadcast the image to other meeting participants.
- Is another bit of software using the camera and blocking Google Meet from using it? No. I have even rebooted several times and checked running processes to ensure no other software is using the camera
- Is the camera disconnected? I have two cameras, one is USB, the other is a part of the screen on my Macbook pro. The cameras are definitely there (see point 2 above)
- Are the security settings in Google Chrome blocking the camera? No. I have checked in the Chrome settings and the fact I can see the camera image prove the camera is not blocked
- Is the camera blocked in Mac OS (Big Sur) settings? No it is not.
- Has anything changed since the Google Meet could last use the camera properly? Yes, I had to install Microsoft Teams. I have since uninstalled Microsoft teams.
For now I’m abandoning Google Meet and will use Zoom instead. This is far from ideal.
I’ll post again when I fix this.