Last Updated on June 26, 2023
This week, Sam is broadcasating from darkened cathedral. Join him as he bumbles through a lo-fi essay on thoughts and his research on trv, kvlt black metal lo-fi-isms.
Is the crapness of his recording and production due to budget and laziness, or is he being kvlt? Plus, a load of samples from the world of early 90s death and black metal. They say you ruin a joke by explaining a joke, so Sam tries to ruin kvlt by explaining kvlt.
- Makkonen, M. and Strömsholm, K. 2020. Rotting Ways to Misery: The History of Finnish Death Metal. Cult Never Dies.
- Moynihan, M. and Soderlind, D. 1998. Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground. Feral House.
- Reyes, I. “Blacker than Death: Recollecting the ‘Black Turn’ in Metal Aesthetics.’ In Journal of Popular Music Studies (25:2): pp. 240-25
Music (chronological playlist):
- Waitan – Legions of the Black Light
- Cradle of Filth – Her Ghost in the Fog
- Wolves in the Throne Room – Born from the Serpents Eye
- Darkthrone – Natassja in Eternal Sleep
- Venom – Black Metal
- Bathory – Necromansy
- Hellhammer – The Third of the Storm (Evoked Damnation)
- Cannibal Corpse – Devoured by Vermin
- Emperor – The Tongue of Fire
- Xysma – On the Hill of Desecration
- Bloodbath – Cancer of the Soul