What bands led you to discover an entirely new music genre, or scene, instrument or whatever? In this episode of the Beat Motel podcast Dr Sam Page and Andrew Culture lead us gently on a wobbly journey of discovery through their own gateway bands.
But this is Beat Motel, so we set the caveat that any band mentioned can’t be either obvious or too mainstream. Saying Led Zep us into metal would be boring. We want the weird, the obscure and the challenging.
The tracks we chose are listed below, but to find out why we chose them you’ll have to listen to the episode.
- Blur – Won’t do it
- No Use for a Name – Any number can play
- Jesus and Mary Chain – Snakedriver
- Bomb the Bass – Beat Dis
Dr Sam Page’s Choices:
- CapDown – Pound for the Sound
- Pete Seeger – Those Three Are On My Mind
- Cephalic Carnage – Dying Will Be the Death of Me
- Colonel Les Clayppol’s Fearless Flying Frog Brigade – Riddles are Abound Tonight (Live)
- Charles Mingus – Moanin’
Other bands mentioned in this episode:
- Between the buried and me
- Against Me!
- Fig 4.0
- The Filaments
- Extreme Noise Terror
During this episode, we mentioned the ‘Jumping Frenchmen of Maine’, here’s the explanation…
Last Updated on May 29, 2023
Leave a Reply